Friday, June 24, 2011

Chocolate Chip Cookies in a Jar

Ah, baking! I do love it so; it's a craft and an art. Unfortunately, it is 112 degrees outside today, so turning on the oven is not an option. This is a problem because I wanted to make cookies for a friend's birthday but don't have the courage to bake them in my boiling house. Fortunately, I happened to find some nice screw top jars lying around and the idea hit me: cookies in a jar!
There are so many variations of this online in different flavors where the recipe is perfectly measured out to fit snugly in the jar, but I to just dove head first into it, as per usual, without really searching too hard. I ended up using the recipe on the bag on chocolate chips and just cut all of the measurements in half so it would fit into the jar I had. This is the recipe already divided in half.

1 1/8 c. flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
3/8 c. brown sugar
3/8 c. granulated sugar
1/2 bag of chocolate chips (I wrapped these in plastic wrap tied with a ribbon and put into the top of the mix so it would be separate)

My logic was that mixing all the ingredients including the chocolate chips is very hard on the hands or a mixer. With the chips separate, all of the ingredients can be mixed and the chips added later so the whole recipe is easier to mix together without hurting anything.

I put the rest of the ingredients on an instruction card inside the jar, since they need to be added a the time of baking:

Add 1/2 c. butter, softened
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 egg

Heat oven to 375 degrees.
Remove chocolate chip package from jar; set aside.
Mix contents of jar with above ingredients.
Stir in chocolate chips.
Bake for 8-10 minutes.


The final touch was the label that says "Chocolate Chip Cookies" in a pretty font, which I whipped up on Word. In hindsight, I probably should have made the label thinner so you can see the layers of ingredients in the jar. Overall, I am happy with the result and m glad that my first trial with this was a success. Thank goodness all of the mix fit perfectly into the jar! I am super excited to give  this to my friend for her birthday and look forward to her reaction to the yummyness of the cookies. 

No comments:

Post a Comment